The RGtkGlade package
The RGtkGlade package provides limited bindings to the libglade
library. This allows one to use
glade to interactively
create Gtk GUIs, and to instantiate these interfaces in R directly.
The callback information specified in the Glade interface can be S
code (names of functions or expressions).
The current version is available as a
GNU-zipped tar file
Installation of the package requires
the RGtk package.
And that package must have been installed using
the --clean (or -c) argument, i.e.
R CMD INSTALL --clean RGtk
in order to create the necessary
needed by this
(If that was not created, please create a symbolic link
or copy the RGtk.so file to create libRGtk.so.)
Then, assuming you have libglade on your system,
R CMD INSTALL RGtkGlade
should produce the installed package.
To use this package within an R session, you will need to make
available to the dynamic loader. The simplest way to do this
currently is to add
this directory to your
In the future, all of these issues may be taken care of automatically
Windows There is currently no version for this package
for Windows available. One first needs gtkExtra working on Windows. Mail me to let me know
of any interest in having it work on Windows.
There are currently very few examples.
- Libglade documentation
- An introduction to libglade.
- See the RGtk package
- Generating the bindings
- Some notes on mechanism used to generate the bindings.
- Embedded widgets in the Gtk HTML widget
- A brief description of a very powerful mechanism provided by
the Gtk HTML widget to embed arbitrary
language to create dynamic pages. This is similar to the
- History of changes to the package.
- General R bindings for Gtk, allowing access to Gdk, Gtk and Gnome.
- Bindings for the gtk+extra library and its classes, including
a data grid/sheet that provides the basic display for a
- Higher-level R tools/functions using RGtk and RGtkHTML
to display different types of data and information.
The tools include
- a simple HTML browser,
- XML tree viewer,
- color-scheme browser,
- relational database viewer,
- S4 class relationship viewer,
- Gtk class, signal and property/arg viewer
- R plugin for Gnumeric
- A plugin for the Gnome spreadsheet Gnumeric.
We can use RGtk to access and construct GUIs in
Gnumeric since it is built using Gtk.
- An interface from R to GGobi.
We can access the Gtk components of GGobi using RGtk.
Additionally, GGobi has an extensive plugin mechanism
which allows one to write plugins in the S language.
One can add GUI components using RGtk. (See examples in the
R plugin module for GGobi.)
functions and access S objects as well as allowing S to call
- This package provides a mechanism for calling Python functions
from R and vice-versa. This is used in the automated generation
of the RGtk bindings between R and the C libraries of Gtk,
Gnome, etc. We use the parser of the defs files provided by
Duncan Temple Lang
Last modified: Mon Dec 2 03:08:29 UTC 2002